Protecting Corporate Memory – leveraging SharePoint Records Management
Records management is typically a challenge. It always has been and unless organizations change it will continue to be a challenge.
Large enterprises across all industries are facing challenges in managing their content to ensure compliance, reduce organizational risk, and increase preparedness for potential litigation. Not only does the approach have to suit the organization’s workflow and culture, it must be easily adaptable by end users who are typically reluctant to change. With end user adoption cited as the single most critical challenge in records management, tools that can automate the process can significantly reduce non-compliance issues and improve the quality of the records for retrieval and reuse. Managing information as an asset encourages its collection, dissemination, sharing, and ultimately reduces the cost of business operations.
Some eye opening statistics:
- The average cost of manually tagging one item is estimated at $4.00—$7.04
- IDC estimates that only 50% of content is correctly meta-tagged
- It costs and organization $180 per document to recreate it when it is not tagged correctly and cannot be found
- Poor information quality costs organizations 10% to20% of operating revenues
conceptClassifier for SharePoint is being used to facilitate records management processes by eliminating end user non-compliance and inconsistencies, the primary cause of failure. This ability to automatically extract conceptual metadata based on the content within a document removes the burden from the end user.
Using Concept Searching’s conceptTaxonomyWorkflow organizations can create custom Content Types to drive the automatic application of RMS templates. This provides the ability to automatically change a custom Content Type based on the semantic metadata contained in the document.
Using conceptClassifier for SharePoint uploaded documents are automatically tagged and if the metadata is associated with a specific Content Type, the Content Type is changed and record retention codes are applied for migration to the Records Management System.
What are some of the benefits our clients have achieved?
- Eliminates end user tagging and provides transparent governance at the desktop
- Ability to capture the essence of a record to accurately identify the type of record
- Records are declared in a consistent manner according to organizational guidelines
- Only real records are migrated to the Records Management System
- Only real records are managed for disposition
- Content is managed to retain integrity and authenticity
- Ensures the long term usefulness of records and reduces the costs and time to manage records
- Enables accessibility to records in a way that meets the needs of the organization increasing productivity and improving decision making capabilities