Planning Your Migration – Inventory Outputs
In our previous blog we discussed the importance of an inventory before a migration begins. Hard work.
What is the output of an inventory?
- A list of content that will be migrated divided into logical groups
- A list of content that contains records that were never declared
- A list of content that contains privacy data or confidential information
- A list of content that is of no value
- A list of content that requires special handling
- A list of content that will require changes along with scoping
Great ideas that will help with a migration. The question is, “How do you generate this information?”
If done manually, it requires you to evaluate every document, and there could be millions. Not very practical to tell your boss it will take years to do the migration.
But done using our unique technology within the conceptClassifier platform, multi-term metadata that represents concepts can be automatically generated, and the content can be auto-classified to a taxonomy.
Do you compile an inventory for migration projects? Do you follow the steps recommended above?
Join us for our ‘Why Most Migration Projects Fail – Don’t Be a Statistic’ webinar on Wednesday, June 14th. Most migration projects run over budget or, even worse, fail. This session explains the potential problems and how to address them. It explores intelligent migration, which achieves an infrastructure where relevant content is protected, archived, or deleted during the migration process.