Office 365 – How To Achieve Non-Intrusive Information Governance
The automatic generation of semantic metadata removes the end user from the tagging process as well as the subjective ambiguity. It also enables content to be related in a meaningful way without end user involvement. This enhances the value of knowledge far beyond the original intent, and expands the value of content to be accessed and used by multiple stakeholders who may or may not have known the content existed. This transforms the content into a knowledge asset as the data can be trusted, is reliable, and is correct.
The ability to generate conceptual metadata enables the sharing of information, but the lack of metadata guarantees that the data will be difficult to share, if at all. Comprehensive metadata that can capture the meaning of content improves decision making across the global organization.
Ok, sounds great but how does that relate to Office 365? This capability is core to deploying an information governance strategy both internally and externally to the cloud. What are the benefits?
- Security, compliance, legal requirements, and data privacy can be more easily enforced before it becomes available on the cloud or classified within the cloud
- Content can be automatically classified to organizational taxonomies within or outside of the cloud making the content available and easily found by stakeholders depending on their security access
- Automatically removes and protects organizationally defined confidential/privacy content
- Removes the subjectivity associated with erroneous meta tags and adds rich metadata to content without metadata
- Encourages collaboration for geographically dispersed knowledge workers who can all access the most relevant content
- Becomes an enabler for organizations to begin to make sense of text analytics for unstructured content
If you could eliminate end user tagging across on-premise, cloud, and hybrid environments to enable use/re-use and availability of the knowledge asset and that the integrity of the asset would be maintained would this be important to you?