ECM and the Cloud – A Match Not Made in Heaven
The cloud has caused disruption for ECM vendors. Woefully behind on technology to begin with, ECM vendors find that the cloud has upset the applecart even more dramatically.
It appears that file share chaos is prevalent. The adoption of file sync and share, and of cloud content management tools, has brought increased the chaos.
Luke Temple, Service Architect Enterprise Collaboration Tools at AstraZeneca, notes, “We had over 100 document management systems in our infrastructure, which led to all sorts of confusion. Getting all of that into Box has been our biggest challenge.”
AIIM notes that 87 percent of organizations are concerned about cloud chaos. The desire to shift strategies to embrace newer content management tools has refocused attention on migration and disposition.
- Forty-three percent agree that the term ECM no longer applies and is limiting
- Seventy-one percent say having no information governance for cloud will replicate current file-share chaos
- Email is still the biggest problem
- The human factor seems to remain the biggest challenge to ECM project success, followed by cost and budget
- Only 20 percent plan to spend more in the next 12 months on external training
- Analytics seems to have the greatest focus over the next 12 months with an indicated increase of spending by 46 percent of respondents
- This is followed by the cloud, with 33 percent indicating spend increases
- 29 percent show planned spend increases for workflow and auto-classification tools
There are many points here, but one thing is clear – the cloud is quite challenging for many organizations. Applying information governance seems out of reach for most. The problem, of course, is that it doesn’t solve chaos.
We have comprehensive solutions for the cloud, which enable easy integration with existing applications. Please go ahead and ask us for a customized demo. In 20 minutes we can solve the chaos problem.
Our webinars also address the topics explored in our blogs. Access all our webinar recordings and presentation slides at any time, from our website, in the Recorded Webinars area, via the Resources tab.